Saturday, August 13, 2011

Fashion Flashbacks.

I have always been so passionate about fashion. There is nothing more that allows me to by my own unique individual than the way fashion does. I love to put clothing together as if it were art.
Fashion has evolved so much over the years both good and bad. Though I was only born in the 90's, fashion from previous decades inspire me. There are two particular decades that I would like to highlight in this post.
The 1950's and the 1980's.
Two very different generations, but such wonderful era's.

The 1950's

After WWII, there was such a big change in society, one change being the fashion. Some of the most famous new trends in the 50's for women were, full length skirts, button up blouses, knitted sweaters but the most prevalent fashion for women during this time was dresses. I read a quote the other day by Edith Head, "A dress should be tight enough to show you are a woman, but loose enough to prove you are a lady." I feel like that quote perfectly describes the women's fashion in the 1950's. The word that first comes to my mind when thinking about the fashion in the 50's is, Classy. Looking at pictures from the 50's women had such elegance and poise, which is so different from today's modern woman.
Whenever I think of the fashion, and the women of the 50's, there are a few famous fashionista's that stand out to me. Jacqueline Kennedy, Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly,and Marilyn Monroe. Though the 50's weren't exactly the highest point for some of these women, their beauty their and fashion just stand out to me.


The 1980's

Retro, the word that closely describes the fashion for the 80's. At this time people were influenced by many things that set the trend for fashion during this era; Music, Movies, celebrities, etc. Brand names became big during this time, making Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein household names.

Madonna became a fashion icon for many young women during this time. Her style was the most copied and sought after look.



Much of the 80's retro style is coming back today. Some of my favorites being, high waisted denim, patterned pants/leggings, fringe, off shoulder sweatshirts, retro t's and sequence tops. My visit to New York, I went to several consignment stores, where I picked up a bunch of the 80's style.



The clothes worn in the 80's depicted people who were trying to find themselves. They looked for ways to express their creativity and individuality, and that is why

I LOVE the 80's!


Even though the 80's is much more of my style, I just admire both decades, for being so unique in the fashion sense. With the 50's being so glamorous and classy, and the 80's being so vintage and retro, you can see why I love these two fabulous fashion era's.


I am different. But I am me. Welcome to my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak up...